Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco
This was a “pull everything out of the fridge and use it up” type of meal. We had amazing garlic from a friend of ours, I had some romas and some cherry tomatoes from our garden and we had left over chicken from our BBQ chicken. I have left the recipe below as it was written however obviously I took some creative licence with it.
For the garlic I used my Garlic Peeler and Garlic Slicer to get nice thin slices of garlic.
I sliced the garlic right into my Deep Covered Baker, covered it and popped it in the microwave for a few minutes until the tomatoes where all burst.
Then you add the rest of your pasta ingredients and stick it back in until your pasta is ready. Since I was using pre-cooked chicken and wanted it to get warm and absorb some flavor I added it about 5 minutes before the pasta was done. I also added mozzarella as well as parm cheese, I don’t recommend that it was too stringy. The only other tip I would give is that it was a bit watery, you could probably do with less liquid or add some more pasta
It was very easy, super good and I didn’t have to turn on the oven or the stove (this is always a must for us on hot summer days)
Grilled Chicken Penne Al Fresco
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes (1 container of cherry tomatoes) or 1 can (15 ounces) diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 cups uncooked mezze penne pasta
- Any tube-shaped pasta requiring 9-11 minutes cook time, such as penne or rigatoni, can be substituted for the mezze penne pasta.
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup cooking white wine
- 1/2 tsp each salt and coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves, divided or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese, we will grate (about 1/4 cup packed) and Additional grated fresh Parmesan cheese and coarsely ground –all fron the one block you buy with plenty left over for other things….
- 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, fat removed –(3 boneless skinless chicken breasts)
- Drizzle Deep Covered Baker with oil. Place chicken in baker.
- Season with salt, pepper, and Italian Seasoning (or seasoning of your choice). Microwave on high 12 – 14 minutes or until done. Remove from baker, chop with Salad Choppers. Drain broth from baker.
- Spray Deep Covered Baker with olive oil using Kitchen Spritzer. Slice garlic into baker using Garlic Slicer. Add tomatoes. Cover; microwave on HIGH 4-5 minutes or until tomatoes begin to burst, stirring after 2 minutes. Crush tomatoes using Mix ‘N Chop. Add pasta, broth, wine, salt and black pepper.
- Return baker to microwave; cover and microwave on HIGH 16-18 minutes or until pasta is tender, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Coarsely chop basil with Chef’s Knife. Reserve 2 tbsp for garnish. Grate cheese
- Carefully remove baker from microwave and remove lid, lifting away from you. Add remaining basil, cheese and chicken to baker; mix well.
- Garnish with reserved 2 tbsp basil, additional Parmesan cheese and black pepper, if desired.
Yield: 8 servings
Nutrients per serving: Light (about 1 cup): Calories 240, Total Fat 2.5 g, Saturated Fat .5 g, Cholesterol 25 mg, Carbohydrate 35 g, Protein 17 g, Sodium 450 mg, Fiber 2 g