Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Ok, I am on a soup kick this week. Here is my latest soup craving. Not much to say about this recipe, the only changes I made are as follows:
- I cut up the broccoli stems to cook in the soup – When you are going to cream/blend a soup there is no reason not to use the whole veggie. The stems add great texture and thicken the soup while adding more vegetables.
- I ALWAYS substitute milk+plain yogurt for buttermilk. I never have buttermilk, I always have yogurt which has a great tang
Broccoli and Cheese Soup
1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
1/2 medium-sized onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or crushed
2 cups broccoli florets and sliced stems
1 medium potato, diced
2 1/2 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup buttermilk (or whatever milk you have mixed with plain yogurt.
Salt and Pepper
1. In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter.
2. Add the onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Add broccoli potato and chicken broth, raise the heat to high and let come to a boil. Reduce heat and cover letting simmer until the broccoli and potato are softened about 7-10 minutes.
4. Let the mixture cook slightly and then transfer to a blender or food processor in batches purée until satiny smooth (or if you would like a chunkier soup with less mess use an immersion blender to blend the soup right in the pot)
5. Return soup to pot, add cheese and buttermilk, salt and pepper until happy with flavor. I add more yogurt to mine as I like the tang. If soup is too think add more broth
Note: I quadrupled this and used less than the recommended broth. It’s always easier to thin a soup afterwards with more water or broth than to thicken it if it becomes too runny.